Population with a disabilityaccording to World Health Organization’s 15% estimate
Ratified the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
Article 79-A states:
The following may vote early:…
Article 97 states:
1. An elector who is affected by an obvious illness or physical disability and whose inability to undertake the acts described in Article 96 is verified by the board of officers, shall vote while accompanied by another elector of his choice, who shall ensure that his vote is cast as he intends it to be and who shall be bound to absolute secrecy.
2. If the board of officers decides that that the obviousness of the illness or physical disability is not verified, they shall require presentation to them, upon the act of voting, of a certificate confirming that it is impossible for the elector to undertake the acts described in the previous Article, to be issued by the doctor who exercises public health authority powers in the municipality’s area and to be authenticated with the respective department’s seal…
Article 150 states:
Anyone who accompanies a blind or disabled person to vote and maliciously expresses the latter’s wish in a manner that is not faithful thereto shall be punished by a prison term of between six months and two years and a fine of between five thousand and twenty thousand escudos.
Article 71 states:
1. Citizens with physical or mental disabilities shall fully enjoy the rights and shall be subject to the duties enshrined in this Constitution, save the exercise or fulfilment of those for which their condition renders them unfit.
2. The state shall undertake a national policy for the prevention of disability and the treatment, rehabilitation and integration of disabled citizens and the provision of support to their families, shall educate society and make it aware of the duties of respect and solidarity towards such citizens, and shall ensure that they effectively enjoy their rights, without prejudice to the rights and duties of their parents or guardians.
3. The state shall support disabled citizens’ organisations.